Sandhill Veterinary services provides a wide range of services for all gamebirds, including Grouse.
With our larger team, we can offer a wider range of services. We aim to have a vet in the practice at all times, meaning that post mortems can be carried out both in the morning and afternoon. Please always ring ahead to ensure we have a vet free to carry out your work.
- Post mortem examinations on all game including grouse with cultures in our own lab
- Site visits and consultations
- Strategic on-site cocci sampling
- Veterinary health planning
- Staff training
- Coccidial oocyst and worm egg counts
- Trichostrongylus worm counts on grouse
- Hatchery debris analysis and full hatchery monitoring service
- Egg break out service
- Hygiene swab and drinking water cultures
- Medicine, vaccine and disinfectant sales
Please speak to us for a price if you are interested in this service.
Our on-site laboratory and post mortem room facilitate the detailed examination of birds and samples enabling us to provide rapid results and consequently prompt advice on the treatment and management of the birds.
Post mortem examinations:
- Usually take between 15 and 30 minutes.
– If you wish to wait for results then please phone ahead to ensure a vet is free
- Alternatively, birds can be left at any time during office hours
- Samples can be left outside normal hours by prior arrangement with the office
- Samples may also be submitted by post/ courier
– please ensure that packages are correctly wrapped to prevent leakages and have the correct postage paid. All samples should be accompanied with contact details of the owner and a brief history of the birds.
Please select birds typical of the flock as a whole for PM submission.
By selecting the most appropriate sample in any situation we are able to obtain the greatest amount of information – do contact the practice if you want any advice.
Our location in northern England means we are well placed to serve the grouse industry. We have gained a great deal of experience in this sector over the years and regularly see birds and analyse samples (as below) and can then offer advice accordingly.
Our services include:
- Trichostrongylus worm counts
- Grouse PM’s
- Cryptosporidium (bulgy eye) testing
- Louping ill testing
- Cocci and worm counts
- Caecal pat cocci and worm egg counts
Post mortem examinations:
- Carried out in our on-site lab
- Enables monitoring of worm levels to allow targeted use of standard or high strength grit where appropriate, helping to prevent wormer resistance
- Please submit the whole gut of each grouse with both caecae attached
- Ensure that all samples are clearly marked with a site of origin, age of birds and a contact number and name
If sending samples by courier please ensure they are wrapped in leak-proof plastic bags within a box containing ice packs to keep them cool.
Stay in touch with us
Sign up for the Sandhill Veterinary Services newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest industry news and advice.